Friday 2 April 2010

Review 5- The Vampire Diaries Vol. 1- The Awakening & The Struggle

Ok so I did it again, I really can't help it. I went from reading Fallen, to reading The Vampire Lestat, to reading this. And to be honest, I probably won't say 'next review' any more because I keep changing my books.

So I've read these two before, when I was thirteen, but I rebought it forgetting I'd read them. Silly me. Oh well here's the review.

Overall I'm really liking the story. I love how the books seem to flow, one into the other, there are no breaks in the narrative, where one ends the next one begins. A lot of stories don't do that, so it's definitely a refreshing thing to see. I love the idea of Stefan and Damon. I think their loathing in the book is done really well. It's definitely something that you can understand why and the author definitely justifies it.

There is one big thing in this book that I do not like though. That's, I'm sorry to say it, Elena. Yes, I'm not too keen on the main character. She really bugs me how she twists everyone into making them do her bidding so to speak. It's really annoying, because you expect most of the main female characters to be really weak and defenceless in vampire novels, and ok so it's good that L. J. Smith tried to break that cycle, but does this girl have to be so in your face about it?

Apart from that. I do honestly like this book. It's got flare, it's got a twist, it's got all of these really cool parts to it that you don't expect, and it's just a really good read. Side note, yes I know that it's definitely a trash vampire romance novel, and yes I know vampires are beginning to be overdone and everything, but there's just something about them that makes me wanna watch more and more of them. Definitely a fantastic idea though.

Overall Rating- 7.5 out of 10
Would I read something else from this author- I am reading the next one in the series now just to get it out of my system.
Anything Else- Don't judge me for my obsession with vampires.

No comments:

Post a Comment