Sunday 21 March 2010

Review 4- Strange Angels

Ok so I know I said that I was going to read The Lovely Bones next, but I tried and it's a very heavy thing and right now heavy is definitely not what I want. So I had a book that I wanted to read and decided I would read it now. It's the first in the Dru Anderson series by Lili St. Crow.

Now I have a warning for people reading this book. On the back I saw the words 'Dad? Zombie. Mom? Long gone. Me? Well that's the strange part' or something along those lines. And from this I thought it would be about zombies or something like that. I've been trying to get away from vampires and werewolves because...well let's just say I read a lot about vampires and werewolves. But as I continued through the pages, what came up. Werewulfen. Yeah that's what they're called. But I was like 'Oh it's ok there won't be vampires at least' oh how wrong I was. They began to talk about 'Suckers'. I fell into the vampires and werewolves trap once more.

Ok don't get me wrong, I do like this book. I'm not saying that I didn't, I am just warning you about that part. I will also say that the book is very similar to Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series, and from what I gather the two of them are friends and go and do book signings together and such so when I found that out the two author's book styles didn't seem so strange.

Now onto the content. I loved Dru's character. She was fighty, she was funny, but she was still vulnerable. I have read so many books where the fifteen year olds or the sixteen year olds or whatever their age is, and they're super strong and they fight and they know what's going on. With Dru, she knew how to fight, she knew survival tactics, but when her dad died (not a spoiler, it says it on the back of the book the first two words) she didn't know what to do and she had a few break downs. FINALLY an author who knows that teenaged girls aren't always strong! I know you can find a lot of books where the girl isn't strong, but in horror/dark fantasy etc it is a very hard thing to find.

Now another character I loved was Graves. Strange name I know but he was funny. 'Don't worry Dru, first one's free' he cracked me up that even after she'd tied him up and put a gun to his head he asked her if she felt him up and told her that he knew she'd be into the bondage type stuff. He cracked me up through this book. Seriously hilarious.

Now for the plot. I wasn't amazed by the plot, as I've said, I was expecting it to be a lot different. It's not and it was still a good read but you know. it's like drinking diluted juice thinking it's the orange one and it turning out to be peach. Yeah I've done that before.

I'm not gonna do a spoiler version any more, I'm just gonna say that I think that how Dru handled it was stupid, but it stuck in with her character which is good. I think that Christophe (yeah, I didn't spell Christopher wrong his name's Christophe) is an ass (and that's surprising, I normally go for the vampire) and I honestly think that a lot of people will like this book.

Overall Rating- 6.5/7 out of 10
Would I read something else by this author- I would love to read Betrayed which is the next one in the series
Anything Else- Nope
Next Review- Probably (Don't hold my word for it though) Fallen by Lauren Kate

Thanks for reading guys x

No comments:

Post a Comment