Friday 1 April 2011

Review 19- Bluebell Cottage

When I bought this book, I have to admit I kinda bought it out of pity. The author was there and I picked it up to read the back out of interest, and we talked a bit and it seemed like no one had bought one since she'd been there. So I got it signed and bought it. And after reading it, I have a few problems with it.

My main problem is the audience it's aimed at. It's in the 9-12 years old section. The main character is mid 30s, so I think it's hard to connect with her because of the age. Near the start there's a talk about her dead daughter, and near the end there's quite a strong conversation about relationship and such. It's not just a simple fairy war like I thought it would be, and it focused a lot more on the relationship between two characters which brings me onto my second main problem.

The author continuously talks about Twilight, for a few pages. It really annoyed me. Then you continue with it and you notice some similarities between the series and this book. Firstly, the two guys after her (I know that love triangles are common, but there's just this thing where there's the friend and then there's the incredibly hot guy who gives the friend no chance of getting the girl), second she actually leaves to protect him, which is role reversal from Twilight, but you get my drift. Oh, and the main character? Complete klutz. It was things like that which annoyed me, because obviously when she tells you about Twilight once or twice you start to see the similarities because there's this idea 'oh this is a good book that I love so I'm going to talk about it in my book' you know? I wanted to hear the author's voice, but I only got her admiration for that series.

I'm not going to go into anything else because I don't want to remember it because I'll just moan about it. To be honest the characters weren't too bad, they just seemed really similar to obvious characters.

Overall Rating- 3.5 out of 10 (that's being generous)
Would I read anything else by this author- No, definitely not.
Anything else- Usually I don't do this, but if you're thinking about reading this, just don't, I'm sorry it's not great.

Thanks for reading guys! x

No comments:

Post a Comment