Friday 1 April 2011

Review 18- City of Ashes

So, wow, because this is the second book in the series I'm putting out a bigger warning than usual to say that it may have spoilers for the first one, if you have read the first one then I won't say don't read it. If you haven't picked up the first one i would because it is (so far) an extremely good series, I will try to lay off spoilers, but they may be dotted in there.

So first of all I want to say how well developed the characters are, seriously, you can feel their dynamics, and sometimes you want to scream at the characters because of what they do or say or any of that. They work, and she makes them constant. I'm gonna talk about them separately than as groups what I think of them, and I'll be truthful about them.

Clary, I sometimes find her quite a weak character. Not always. She seems to have bursts of bravery, but, I don't know, sometimes she does seem like a lost little girl in the middle of an unknown theme park. I like the fact that she does yell sometimes, and will stand up for what she believes in, you can see she has the teen spirit. I think because she's confused, about what's going on in her life, who she loves, what's happened to her mother, who her father is, she doesn't know what to do, which I guess makes it obvious as to why she sometimes seems like a lost little girl. I don't know, I definitely think she was stronger as a character in book one, is that because now we've seen the world of the Shadowhunters in more detail and the other characters are so strong, maybe that's why I see her as such a much more weak character.

Then there's Jace. I don't know what to think about Jace either, I like him, but at the same time I find him arrogant and annoying, and yeah, sometimes I want to scream at him or punch him. He's a very dynamic character, you can see why he's the way he is, you can understand why he does the things he does, even if we don't like him. It seems as if he's almost given up on everyone around him, like he doesn't see the point in pretending for people. I like that because he's not perfect. You see him dealing with this conflict inside & in parts of this book, you do see him give up, which is refreshing to see from a strong character.

Simon is a sweetheart, he's one of my favourite characters because he seems like just a nice guy. I felt really sad near the end of the book when something happens that I won't say because of spoilers, one of the only times if I'm being honest. I do think he's a good character, and I think that in this book he has the biggest character development of all the characters through this book, which is nice to see, because you kinda feel like he's just been dragged along. It was nice to see that he got some development.

Luke is the perfect father figure. I think he's brilliant, though he obviously has his own problems, he looks like an amazing leader & like he'll protect people he cares for in any way possible.

A pairing that I love (THIS DOES CONTAIN SPOILERS YOU'VE BEEN WARNED) is Magnus & Alec, I think they're kinda adorable. When they fight when Jace blurts out he knows, it's hilarious how Magnus acts when Alec tries to deny it. Just such a cute little pairing. They're completely amazing. (END OF SPOILER)

There are some seriously hilarious parts in the book. In the court of the fairies, where they are bickering about who's got to kiss who, was my favourite part by far. It was just so funny.

I hated the cliffhanger at the end though. I wanted to scream, especially since I can't get the next one for a while.

Overall Rating- 8.5 out of 10
Would I read anything else by this author- Yes definitely I need the next book!
Anything else- Nope.

Thanks for reading guys! x

No comments:

Post a Comment